The coronavirus has brought many challenges for us, there are many health issues related to COVID-19 and different organs. Skin is the biggest organ of our body and front-line soldiers fight for our health against different infections and external harmful factors.
As reported in an article on the website of the National Center for Biotechnology Information US. This article is for health care workers, but we also can use the guidelines for better health care and can take part in the wellness of society. There are many skin conditions, such as
- contact dermatitis
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Acne vulgaris
In this hard situation of the world, we all should follow the strict specific precautions and should follow the hygiene rules. Skin problems can be managed with some precautionary measures by managing personal hygiene measures and by using protective gear while contacting others or going outside.
COVID-19 is a new virus that has never been identified before and it is spreading quickly worldwide, vanishing resources of the international health care system. This virus spreads through the respiratory system by coughing, sneezing and through other different ways, the infection can be reduced through the use of proper PPEs and keeping yourself hygienic, and maintaining social distance.
Reasons for Skin Problems
Different skin conditions result from different reasons, in covid pandemics the prolonged use of PPEs and unnecessary hygiene measures are the main cause of skin problems, the main cause of skin problem is because of friction of skin with other materials like the friction of mask with the skin of the face that cause acne problems, that can lead to severe skin disease if it did not solve the problem on early stages
Mask creates pressure on the skin when wearing them for a long time, the most commonly affected part of the skin is the nose bridge because of the use of masks and goggles, the skin of the hands can be damaged through rubber gloves that lead to blister formation, occlusion or maceration that can cause contact dermatitis.
Using detergents, disinfectants or sanitizers affects the skin by destroying the barrier of hydro-lipids that causes irritation and dryness on the skin.
Prevention and precautions
There’re some tips from some health experts by following them: we can keep ourselves and our skin healthy during this COVID-19 pandemic situation.
- Wear a proper mask and use good moisturizers on the face before wearing a mask to reduce skin friction.
- Dryness and scaling of skin is a common problem because of close and humid environments that can damage the skin barrier function as a good skincare product, such as Brilliance skincare products before and after wearing PPEs like masks and gloves.
- Moisturize your lips with excellent quality petroleum jelly or paraffin balm as lip dryness can cause the proliferation of bacteria and crack of lips.
- Use multiple layers of gauze inside the mask to prevent itching pruritus at the mask site and wash your face with fresh water after using the mask.
- Rinse your mouth with mouthwash water or normal saline after getting home from outside, do not use hot water or any irritant like ethanol to wash your face it can cause swelling or redness of facial skin.
- Applying a good cream before and after wearing gloves will help to protect your hand skin from itching and latex adverse effects like a latex allergy.
- It is advised to use moisturizers containing oil control ingredients for acne-prone skin.
- After getting home, take a shower with normal water, do not use overheated water, and use an excellent quality product
- Never touch eyes or other skin parts while wearing gloves outside of the home or at work
- Consult a dermatologist if the skin condition persists or worsens gradually
Your skin is the first barrier of defense against various infections and a major part of your beauty. In the current pandemic, take care of your health along with your skin, you can keep yourself and your family safe by practicing some basic hygiene measures, Personal hygiene, and use of proper PPEs it is easy to prevent yourself from all skin problems.